Alternative div_qr_1

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Tue Jun 15 15:13:07 CEST 2010

> The algorithm is really simple, the iteration is
>
>   <r2, r1, r0>  <-- <r0, u[j]> + r1 b2 + r2 b3

I've now implemented a slightly different variant,

  <r2, r1, r0>  <-- <r0, u[j]> + (r2 b2 - c d) B + r1 b2

where c is the carry from r0 + r2 b2 (here, r2 is a single bit, and in
fact <r2, r1>  < B + d - 1). Note that the b3 constant is no longer
needed.

I'm attaching a new x86_64/mod_1_1.asm. The function mpn_mod_1_1p is
rewritten from scratch, while mpn_mod_1_1p_cps is unchanged.

This is the inner loop:

L(loop):
	and	B2modb, r2
	lea	(B2mb, r0), t1
	mul	B2modb
	add	r2, r0
	mov	(ap, n, 8), t0
	cmovc	t1, r0
	add	%rax, t0
	mov	r0, %rax
	adc	%rdx, %rax
	sbb 	r2, r2
	sub 	$1, n
	mov	t0, r0
	jnc	L(loop)

Runs at 6 cycles per limb on AMD (panther.gmplib.org).

On Intel corei (shell.gmplib.org) results are a little odd; it runs at
11 cycles per limb when the divisor is unnormalized, and 11.5 when the
divisor is normalized. Which is strange, since there's no instruction in
the loop which I'd expect to have data-dependent timing.

Comments apprecitad.

I'd like to extend this to also compute the quotient, then in each
iteration one needs to also compute (in the normalized case; I haven't
thought about the unnormalized case yet):

  <q2, q1, q0>  <--  <r2, r1> <1, v> + c B
                  = r2 <1, v> + r1 v + (r1 + c) B

where c is the same carry out as in the r update. And then accumulate
those limbs. Unfortunately, the simple way of doing those additions
takes an awful lot of instructions. The critical path is still the
dependency on r1, which will be 7 cycles (one additional move on the
path, to free up %rax for the r1 v multiply in the q computation). So
we're going to be limited by decoder bandwidth rather than latency. I
hope that one should be able to get a loop running in 11 or 10 cycles.