Arithmetic without limitations?

Pierrick Gaudry pierrick.gaudry at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 20:45:25 CET 2010

Torbjörn said:
> You've created a benchmark that could be useful for measuring disk
> performance.  The best short-term GMP speedup would surely be to get
> yourself an SSD disk. :-)

Indeed, before starting a big project like allowing out of core
computation in GMP, one should really take into account the fact that SSD
disks are now more and more frequent.

If, as we sometimes hear, the classical hard drives are going to die and
be replaced by SSD, then Torbjörn's approach of trusting the OS's swap
system might actually become efficient enough for standard applications,
since fragmentation is not a big problem for SSD.

Pierrick