abort on error - is this being addressed?

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Thu Aug 26 10:44:09 CEST 2010

Allan Chandler <allachan at au1.ibm.com> writes:

> Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? I'd be interested in
> taking on the task myself if need be, at least initially.

There are two approaches I'm aware of, neither very practical with
the current GMP:

1. Have an alternative set of functions where the caller must allocate
   and provide space not only for the result, but also any temporary
   scratch space needed during the computation. Search this list for
   itch/scratch for more info. Some of the low-level functions are
   already written this way, but a lot of work remains.

2. Register your own allocation functions with GMP, which detect
   allocation failures. Then, set up a allocation marker and a setjmp
   buffer before each computation which might exhaust memory. On
   failure, have the allocation function not return to gmp, instead, it
   should deallocate all temporary storage (using the above "marker"),
   and longjmp out to abort the computation.