configure m4 problem

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Fri Aug 20 12:18:36 CEST 2010

Ozkan Sezer <sezeroz at gmail.com> writes:

>   putenv("M4=m4");

Ok, this is the interesting piece.

> It seems like the problem (in our specific case, at least), is that 1)
> python sets the signal stuff, and 2) gcc's configure ends up setting
> $M4 because it's already found it anyway.  In this case, $M4 gets
> propagated into flex.

Then it seems like a resonable improvement to GMPs configure script is
to always respect M4 set in the environment. Does any of the proposed
solutions do precisely that?

But some things are still puzzling me regarding your description of the
setup.

1. Why does gcc set M4 in the environment? After a quick check of
   gcc-4.4.4/configure, I don't see that it exports M4 (it is of course
   substituted in Makefile.in etc., but that is something different).

2. How come gmp's configure is started as a *subprocess* of gcc's
   configure, hence inheriting that M4 environment variable? gmp wasn't
   bundled with gcc last time I checked, but we might be using different
   versions/distributions.

>From this, I wonder if it's correct that the gcc configure script really
is the source of the M4 environment variable, I suspect that it is
instead set by some common ancestor process to both configure scripts.