Sun Microsystems high-performance research software project

Torbjorn Granlund tg-this-will-bounce-but-I-am-subscribed-to-the-list-honest at swox.com
Thu Mar 22 20:36:24 CET 2007

John Ravella <johnr at astuteresearch.com> writes:

  Does GMP run on a grid?

Not sure I understand the question.  It surely isn't aware of grids or
multiple processors in any configuration.  But it might run on the
individual nodes.

  Forgive me but I do not understand the tone of this conversation.
  Would the GMP community be interested in Sun's contributions if they
  conformed to the community's governance and without preconditions?

I don't know what the community of GMP users would think about it.

I hope my replies have clarified my position, and that I am quite
likely not to integrate Sun's developments, if doing so would require
me to work for free.

The "tone" of my replies comes from that I am somewhat fed up with the
great interest in GMP of computer makers and chip makers and algrebra
system makers, but that they seem to refuse to understand the
economics of Free Software.  They think maintainers should be grateful
for contributed code, free hardware, etc.  We eat neither code nor
hardware for dinner, unfortunately.  As long as we accept these
apparent gifts, we will not educate enterprises in the economics of
Free Software.