Sun Microsystems high-performance research software project

John Ravella johnr at astuteresearch.com
Thu Mar 22 06:24:07 CET 2007

Partner Marketing (developer relations) hired Astute Research to help
them identify 20-25 Open Source HPC applications used by the research
community. This effort is consistent with their charter. The Sun
engineers assigned to this project are committed to work within the
communities guidelines so contributed code would serve all supported
platforms--they they are interested in maximizing performance on Sun,
but I don't believe they plan contributing Sun-only code.

BTW: Partner Marketing's charter is to increase the number of
applications on the Sun and Solaris platform. They typically work
with commercial software vendors.

So what's Sun up to?  It's a straight forward program. Sun benefits
by increasing the number of research applications on Sun's Solaris
X86 platforms and demonstrating a commitment to the academic
community, which increases demand for Sun hardware within the
research community (note: Sun hardware was recently chosen for a
major deployment at the Texas Advanced Computer Center, TACC).
Although I cannot speak for Sun's business plans, they have expressed
interest in hosting a select number of these applications in their
SunGrid hosting centers and providing compute power back to the
research user communities--your users.

They want to maximize the impact of the limited engineering resources
assigned to this program, so the main criteria for Sun to get
involved in that the application is in wide use within the research
community.

I hope this answers your questions. If you are interested, I'm happy
to introduce you to the Sun people running the program.

Regards,

John

On Mar 21, 2007, at 7:26 PM, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:

> John Ravella <johnr at astuteresearch.com> writes:
>
>   According to my initial research, GMP is a popular applications used
>   in research areas of interest to Sun Microsystems.
>
>   If interested in Sun's program for GMP, please contact me for a more
>   detailed explanation of the program.
>
> Please tell us what Sun is up to.  A fork, like Intel's MKL?
>
> Whatever Sun might be up to, I continue to develop the official GNU
> GMP in my pace and as time permits.  I usually accept good patches
> from individuals, if it is something not already in the GMP
> development cvs.  I do not usually accept non-trivial vendor specific
> patches, in particular not from enterprises.  This might sound
> stubborn, but I really will not work for free, until I get free food,
> free housing, free travel, free computers, and free beer.
>
> --
> Torbjörn

John Ravella
650.576.4459