gmpbench: Ultra40 Solaris10 Studio11

Timothy Jacobson Timothy.Jacobson at Sun.COM
Tue Apr 10 19:17:06 CEST 2007

Just to be clear on what free is:  Sun Studio compilers are free.  We do
not charge money for them.  They can be downloaded and installed without
charge.  They are not open-source at this time.  Some people use the
word free to mean open-source.  However, the long range plan at Sun is
to open-source our compilers.  Upper management has made that commitment
for the future.  I don't know when that date will be.  There are legal
issues that must be sorted out.  Sun has already open-sourced the
Solaris operating system called Open-Solaris.

As for Sun Studio 12 which will be released this summer.  There will be
a linux compatible Sun Studio C, C++ and Fortran compiler as part of the
release.  The Sun Studio linux compilers intend to utilize all the GNU
GCC specific flags and accept GNU GCC-defined inline code.  I have not
tested this yet, but hope to have some cycles to devote to it in the
next few months.  I'll report it to the GMP community when I get it to
work.  I hope this helps.

Tim Jacobson