gmpbench: Ultra40 Solaris10 Studio11

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Tue Apr 10 14:31:16 CEST 2007

Torbjorn Granlund
<tg-this-will-bounce-but-I-am-subscribed-to-the-list-honest at swox.com>
writes:

> Your suggestion to simply test __SUNPRO_C is certainly not right.  It
> would feed uncomprehensible code to older versons of the Sun compiler.

I guess one problem is that longlong.h is installed on the system, and
hence is supposed to be useable with *all* C compilers that are
installed (or might be installed later, for that matter) on the
system. That makes it impractical to let GMP's configure script sort
it out. Otherwise, you could have some logic in configure.in to enable
inline assembly, automatically whenever gcc is used, while also giving
daring users of other compilers a --with-gcc-style-inline-assembly
option to use.

What's the reason longlong.h is installed? I tend to view longlong.h
as a part of gmp-impl.h that is considered to be stable, but I guess
historically, the story is different.