GMP on Core 2 Duo

Ernest Prabhakar prabhaka at apple.com
Wed Nov 29 23:51:10 CET 2006

Hi Torbjorn,

On Nov 29, 2006, at 3:13 AM, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
> I don't think any patches are needed to build a 64-bit version on
> Linux.
>
>   I realize it is often tricky to integrate platform-specific changes
>   into a multi-platform codebase, so I was wondering if there was any
>   way we could help you turn these patches into something that would
>   "play nicely" with your existing codebase, so that GMP would work
>   properly out of the box on Core 2 Duo systems from Apple and other
>   vendors.
>
> You need to understand how most GNU projects work.  Either the
> maintainer(s) does something because (s)he think it is interesting, or
> (s)he does it because he is paid to do it.  Accepting patches from
> outsiders requires a lot of work, but is usually not very interesting.
>
> In the case of GMP, quality generic patches tend to be integrated
> reasonably timely, while vendor specific patches tend to get much less
> attention.

I understand completely. I  had hoped we could turn the Core 2 Duo
patches into something that was generic and easily-integrated enough
to not be a burden to you.  However, I completely understand your
reluctance to get bogged down in platform-specific patches.

Best wishes, and keep up the good work!

Sincerely,
Ernie Prabhakar