GMP on Core 2 Duo

Ernest Prabhakar prabhaka at apple.com
Tue Nov 28 23:56:49 CET 2006

Dear GMP Team,

As the Open Source Product Manager for Mac OS X, I wanted to thank
you for the work you've done on GMP.  I realize we aren't your
primary target, but a lot of scientists and researchers (including at
Apple) benefit greatly from your highly-tuned library.

Because of that, I wanted to see if there's anything I can do ensure
Mac OS X properly supports GMP.  I understand there have been
compiler issues in the past that caused it fail "make check", but I
hope those have already been addressed.  If not, please let me know.

In addition, we are very excited at the prospect of moving our whole
product line over to 64-bit processors, and we'd love to take
advantage of the enormous performance improvements you've documented
[1].  I notice that Jason Martin has patches to build a 64-bit
version on Mac OS X and Linux[2], which has been picked up by Fink[3].

I realize it is often tricky to integrate platform-specific changes
into a multi-platform codebase, so I was wondering if there was any
way we could help you turn these patches into something that would
"play nicely" with your existing codebase, so that GMP would work
properly out of the box on Core 2 Duo systems from Apple and other
vendors.

Please let me know if there's anything we can do to assist in this
effort.  Thanks again!

Best wishes,
Ernest N. Prabhakar, Ph.D.
Open Source Product Manager, Apple