Win64 and GMP

Torbjorn Granlund tg-this-will-bounce-but-I-am-subscribed-to-the-list-honest at swox.com
Thu Dec 28 03:06:56 CET 2006

"Myria" <myriachan at cox.net> writes:

  Yes, that does look fairly complete, except for the issues I outlined.  As
  far as I know, Yasm does not support the mandatory function markup required
  by Windows x86-64, and as such the DLLs produced this way are invalid
  executables.  If an exception were to occur in one of those assembly
  language routines, even one that is automatically recovered by ntdll.dll,
  the process will be terminated without an error message.  (This is because
  ntdll.dll assumes that an exploit has occurred, and the complex procedure to
  display a message box stands a good chance of executing shellcode if memory
  has been corrupted.)

Wow, this is a sophisticated operating system, suppressing the error
message indeed!

I don't know much about Windos, but I suppose such advanced protection
mechanism has resulted in an almost flawless track record wrt security
problems?