Bit blit routine, version 1

Torbjorn Granlund tg at swox.com
Wed Feb 4 19:13:00 CET 2004

Brian Hurt <bhurt at spnz.org> writes:

  > We have mpn_lshift and mpn_rshift already in GMP, and they
  > are carefully optimized for all relevant processors.  They
  > implement what I mean with bit-blit.
  >
  > In what way is your code different from mpn_lshift and mpn_rshift?

  My bitblit is a generalization of shift left/shift right routines.  I
  forget what the problems I had were, but when I looked into doing rotates
  with the current implementation of the shifts, I hit problems.

You should definitely use mpn_lshift and mpn_rshift to do
the actual O(n) work.  The first and last limbs will need special
handling, of course.