Help with testing 4.1.3

Scott Robert Ladd coyote at coyotegulch.com
Fri Apr 23 15:11:08 CEST 2004

Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
> I asked yesterday for help with testing the 4.1.3 release
> candidate.  Response has been minimal.  Since there are several
> hundred "developers" on this list, the lack of help with testing
> is really surprising.
>
> So, you on this list that think you ought to contribute to the
> Free Software out there--not just expolit the work of others--
> step up and help us test the release on as many machines as
> possible.

I contribute to several FOSS projects, and read this list mainly to keep
informed about GMP. Every project seems to think is is special, and that
all developers should focus on it... people like me only have so much
free time. Just because someone doesn't crontibute to GMP doesn't make
them a FOSS exploiter... :)

That said, I  *have* tried testing GMP 4.1.3, only to trip over the
-march/-mtune/-mcpu problem with GCC 3.4 and 3.5/tree-ssa. For
compatibility with GCC 3.4 and later, GMP will need to modify its
configure.in.

Not being a regular contributor to GMP, I don;t know what the operative
philosophy is in regard to such patches.

..Scott

--
Scott Robert Ladd