Range for the coeffients returned by gcdext

Torbjorn Granlund tege at swox.com
Fri Sep 19 15:33:08 CEST 2003

Kevin Ryde <user42 at zip.com.au> writes:

  I'd been wondering if the usual Euclidean algorithm guaranteed that
  already, or something like it, so all we would have to do is document
  what the current code does :-).

  The only thing to be careful of is not to specify something that might
  be hard to implement in the future.  But I expect once one has u,v
  roughly in the vicinity of a,b then any sensible rule can be applied
  with not much work, certainly not much compared to getting there in
  the first place.

Please don't specify something just for the uniformity of mpn.
Uniformity isn't an important design goal of mpn.  Speed, though,
is.