enhancement for gmp package to be buildable by Intel compiler on IA64

Torbjorn Granlund tg at swox.com
Thu Oct 16 18:10:22 CEST 2003

James Antill <james at and.org> writes:

   The intel compiler defines __GNUC__ and implements "most" of the gcc
  extensions. The better fix is probably to autoconf for the feature you
  are using.

I cannot believe they did that.  Lots and lots of software is
going to break.  This is properly to be regarded as a serious bug
in Intel's compiler.  "Fixing" it in GMP would do more harm than
good.  If Intel has detemined to disguise their compiler as the
GNU compiler, then it will be a wild goose chase to try to defeat
them with autoconf tests.

I will report this through my channels and ask the FSF legal to
look into the matter.  Could you give me as detailed information
as possible about the compiler, like where you got it, its
version numbers, etc?

[Let's please bring this off the gmp-devel list now, since these
issues aren't technical.]