running automake & autoconf

Karl Hasselström kha@treskal.com
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 23:13:08 +0100

--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6

I'm trying to reconfigure GMP. Just running the auto-thingies in an
unmodified 4.1.2 tree gives the following output:

  kha@backpacker:~/home/gmp/gmp-rec> aclocal -I mpfr
 =20
  kha@backpacker:~/home/gmp/gmp-rec> autoconf
 =20
  kha@backpacker:~/home/gmp/gmp-rec> automake
  Makefile.am:97: invalid variable `nodist_include_HEADERS'
  mpbsd/Makefile.am:39: invalid unused variable name: `nodist_libmpbsd_la_S=
OURCES'
  mpn/Makefile.am:38: invalid unused variable name: `nodist_libdummy_la_SOU=
RCES'
  tests/Makefile.am:33: invalid variable `check_LTLIBRARIES'
  tests/Makefile.am:33: invalid variable `check_LTLIBRARIES'
  tests/Makefile.am:38: invalid unused variable name: `libtests_la_LIBADD'
  tests/Makefile.am:35: invalid unused variable name: `libtests_la_SOURCES'
  tests/Makefile.am:37: invalid unused variable name: `libtests_la_DEPENDEN=
CIES'
  tune/Makefile.am:77: invalid unused variable name: `nodist_tuneup_SOURCES'
  demos/calc/Makefile.am:29: variable `LEXLIB' not defined
  demos/calc/Makefile.am:29: variable `LEXLIB' not defined
 =20
  kha@backpacker:~/home/gmp/gmp-rec> autoheader
  WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h', `config.h.bot'
  WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for `config.h.in'
  WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.
 =20
  WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
  WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a template without
  WARNING: `acconfig.h':
 =20
  WARNING:   AC_DEFINE([NEED_MAIN], 1,
  WARNING:             [Define if a function `main' is needed.])
 =20
  WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be produced, see the
  WARNING: documentation.

Despite the automake errors, configure and make run just fine (though
make gives some error messages).

Am I doing something wrong (not giving correct command line options,
not running things in the right order) or do I simply need another
version of automake than 1.4? doc/configuration is a bit vague on this
subject.

--=20
Kalle Hasselstr=F6m, kha@treskal.com
      www.treskal.com/kalle