division

Karl Hasselström kha@treskal.com
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 14:01:54 +0100

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/

On 2002-11-07 09:43:28 +0000, Jason Moxham wrote:
>=20
> I see at=20
>=20
> http://www.swox.com/gmp/projects.html
>=20
> under Quotient only division that gmp doesn't yet have it.  I can't
> see how that method described would work , the quoitient is
> uncertain in the lowest couple of bits ( on average) , so on average
> the remainder needs to be calculated all except lowest couple of
> bits, not much of saving.

Given an approximate quotient q to floor(N/D), calculate an
approximate remainder r =3D N - D*q. If 0 <=3D r < D, q and r are the
correct quotient and remainder. Otherwise, make corrections in one of
two ways:

* While r < 0, let r =3D r - D and q =3D q + 1.

or

* While r >=3D D, let r =3D r + D and q =3D q - 1.

The result is correct, since r =3D N - D*q and 0 <=3D r < D, and if the
approximate quotient was not too far off then the number of correction
steps won't be high.

Now, that algorithm gives quotient and remainder using two
multiplications. But, if we don't need the remainder, we can calculate
just the most significant limb of r. Almost always, this will be
sufficient for the above algorithm, and in the cases where it's not
enough -- when the most significant limb of r is the same as for D,
for example, so that we can't tell for sure, if r < D or not, we can
calculate all the limbs of r.

So in k cases of 2^32 (assuming 32-bit limbs), we still need two
multiplications, otherwise we need just one, so on average we need 1 +
k/2^32 multiplications. k is a rather small number -- if the
approximate quotient has an error of at most 2, my guess is that k is
something like 5 or 10. So the average time is reduced to about
1.000000001 multiplications (for some suitable number of zeros).

--=20
Kalle Hasselstr=F6m, kha@treskal.com
      www.treskal.com/kalle

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/