highly critical documentation bug
tg-this-will-bounce-but-I-am-subscribed-to-the-list-honest at swox.com
Wed Dec 13 19:44:41 CET 2006
Paul.Zimmermann at loria.fr (Paul Zimmermann) writes:
There is a big problem in the GMP documentation: the crucial mpn_divexact_1
function is not documented. With that function, I was able to improve my
code by almost 4%!
Darn. 4% more to catch up with...
As requested in the "Reporting Bugs" section of the GMP manual:
* The GMP version number: 4.2.1
* A test program: info gmp
* A description of what is wrong: mpn_divexact_1 is missing
* If you get a crash: no
* Please do not send core dumps: ok
* The configuration options: ./configure --with-full-documentation
* The name of the compiler and its version: gcc 4.2-latest-snapshot
* The output from running `uname -a': Linux paris.loria.fr 2.6.18-1.2239.fc5 #1 SMP Fri Nov 10 12:51:06 EST 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
* The output from running `./config.guess', and from running
`./configfsf.guess' (might be the same): x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
(it is the same)
* If the bug is related to `configure': no
* If the bug is related to an `asm' file: I guess no
This is an exemplary bug report!
Unfortunately, I cannot help, since mpn_divexact_1 is a secret GMP
And secrets are edged tools that must be kept from children and from
Since it is a highly critical problem, I am waiting soon for a new release
Yes, once the planned removal of division, this problem should go away.
More information about the gmp-bugs