Windows Visual C++ Express x64 static binaries

Jan Wielemaker wielemak at science.uva.nl
Sun May 18 12:20:34 CEST 2008

On Sunday 18 May 2008 11:46:57 Andreas Fabri wrote:
> Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
>  > [snip]
> >
> > A GMP port to 64-bit MS Windoze should target command oriented
> > interfaces such as mingw or cygwin, and work within the configure/make
> > system already in place.  Separate solutions ("project" files) are not
> > acceptable since they target non-free compilers and require separate
> > maintenance.
>
> Hello,
>
> Would a build system as cmake be an option for the GMP project?

Just out of curiosity as developer of SWI-Prolog, which uses
configure/make on all systems except for Windows for which I maintain a
set of hand written NMAKE files calling M$ cl.exe and a hand written
substitutes for config.h. Surely not an ideal situation, but there are
not many alternatives if you want to support Windows. Cygwin is too slow
and crippled for anything but hinting people they really do not want
Unix. I started considering mingw/msys, but 64-bit requirement came
first and thus I now need to wait for a proper 64-bit mingw.

What problem would cmake solve in this context? If I just want an almost
compatible make, I can use msys. Writing Makefiles that support both
conventional Unix build and M$ cl.exe/link.exe builds however is such a
nightmare I decided two sets is easier.

	--- Jan