Microsoft Visual Studio support

Pedro Gimeno gmpdiscuss at personal.formauri.es
Tue Apr 1 18:26:03 CEST 2008

Jarl Bong-Rundtörn wrote:
> Today we can announce an agreement between Swox and Microsoft that will
> make future GMP releases much more easily accessible for users of
> Microsoft(tm) Windows(R) Visual Studio(tm).
>
> Microsoft will sponsor a transition of a configure+Makefile based
> build system to one based on Visual Studio(tm) project files.  As part
> of this deal, Makefiles usable for a release will be made available
> after a 6 month delay.
>
> "This agreement will allow GMP to broaden its user base to people that
> have not until now been able experience a quality bignum library",
> says Jarl Bong-Rundtörn, director at the division of bignum arithmetic
> at Swox AB.

I've heard of that. According to a link I read yesterday, MS intend to
use the GMP library to implement a new big integer type for inclusion
into the OOXML specification in the part that deals with spreadsheets.

A side effect of the agreement, I read, is that GMP, which will need
from then on to comply with MS's definition of "Open Source" aka MSOS,
will no longer be useable in commercial applications (except for MS
Office, of course).

-- Pedro Gimeno